Monday, August 30, 2004

Olympics

I think this will be remembered as the Olympics of the non favorite athlete. At least that is how I will remember it.

Big names like Allen Johnson, The USA 4X100m relay team and Paul Tergat and Jan Ullrich all failed to win the events in which they we the favorites.

The final weekend was very exciting though, with an Italian winning the marathon and a very deserving Hicham El Guerrouj winning the 5000m to achieve a 1500m, 5000m double. My opinion still is that all this tactical running is a big gamble. If Bekele went out from the start and ran a 12’50 race like we know he can, he’d probably take a gold medal home. I think the same applies to Paul Tergat. The man could have run set a 2 hours 07 minutes pace and I’m sure no one would have gone with him. Instead both there great runners decided to gamble it on a tactical race and both lost.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home