Wednesday, August 25, 2004

Which event? So hard to choose

I did a simple little test and checked how many points I can score on the Hungarian points table for a few events, all without training. Now the amount of points that I got is not relevant to this discussion but the relationship between events.

I focused my entire running career (except for one year in which I couldn't train) on middle distance running. During the one year that I couldn't train I focused on 200m and 400m simply because I could still compete though at a much lower level than with middle distance running. I didn't want to take the year off and I didn't want to have a really bad year as middle distance runner so instead I just changed events all together and didn’t train at all but ran the races as plain fun runs.

Now the interesting thing is that when running on pure talent and no training I score about 8% more points on sprints than on middle distance events. One can draw a few conclusions. The 2 that makes most sense to me are these. Either I should have focused on sprints my entire life rather than middle distance or it takes a lot more effort to take whatever talent you have and turn it into some competitive ability. I know that middle distance runner train really hard but I also have quite a few friends that were sprinters and I know what one of their training sessions feel like. I think it’s the same amount of work. Hence I come to the conclusion that I should have rather focused on 200m and 400m events rather than 800m and 1500m events. Only problem with that is that I was always better at the 1500m than at the 800m. Could it have been my training program or was that a true indication of what my true abilities are?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home